Sominex is an antihistamine that is used to treat sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, hives, skin rash, itching, and other cold or allergy symptoms.
Sominex is also used to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat certain symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. This medicine sleep aid medicine is not for use in children younger than 12 years old.
There are many brands and forms of diphenhydramine available. Not all brands are listed on this leaflet.
Somiinex may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Sominex side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Sominex may cause serious side effects. Stop using Somiinex and call your doctor at once if you have:
- severe drowsiness; or
- painful or difficult urination.
Side effects such as dry mouth, constipation, and confusion may be more likely in older adults.
Common side effects of Somiinex may include:
- dry eyes, blurred vision;
- dry mouth, nose, or throat;
- decreased urination;
- feeling restless or excited (especially in children); or
- day-time drowsiness or “hangover” feeling after night-time use.Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Somiinex is only for short-term use until your symptoms clear up.Taking too much Sominex can lead to serious heart problems, seizures, coma, or death.Always follow directions on the medicine label about giving Somiinex to a child. Do not use the medicine only to make a child sleepy. Death can occur from the misuse of antihistamines in very young children.For motion sickness, take Sominex 30 minutes before you will be in a situation that causes you motion sickness (such as a long car ride, airplane or boat travel, amusement park rides, etc). Continue taking this medicine with meals and at bedtime for the rest of the time you will be in a motion-sickness situation.As a sleep aid, take Somiinex within 30 minutes before bedtime.
You must chew the chewable tablet before you swallow it.
Measure liquid medicine carefully. Use the dosing syringe provided, or use a medicine dose-measuring device (not a kitchen spoon).
Remove an orally disintegrating tablet from the package only when you are ready to take the medicine. Place the tablet in your mouth and allow it to dissolve, without chewing. Swallow several times as the tablet dissolves.
Call your doctor if the condition you are treating with Somiinex does not improve, or if you have a fever with a headache, cough, or skin rash.
Do not use Somiinex for longer than 2 weeks to treat sleep problems, or longer than 7 days to treat cold or allergy symptoms.
Somiinex can affect the results of allergy skin tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Somiinex.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.